Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Down the Hole

Day 1 - flew into Salt Lake City and drove to Jackson Hole, Wyoming but who cares about that. Let's talk about the near ticket I got. See, I was driving briefly in Idaho taking in the scenery. The speed limit is 75 and I had it set on 80. I then saw this sign coming up and had to hurriedly take this picture (yes, while driving).


Yep, Virginia. Just that way. Well, thank God the cop just up ahead didn't see me with the camera but he apparently did see me going 80 in the recently entered construction zone where the speed limit was 65. Got pulled and he took my license and car rental agreement. Here's our conversation:
"So where are you coming from?"
"North Carolina." (which was a weird question since he's holding my NC license)
"No sir, where are you driving from?"
"Oh, sorry. Salt Lake City."
"Did you see the construction zone you entered?"
"No sir. I just landed and was regrettably taking in the scenery."
"You didn't notice all the orange barrels and cones?"
"No sir."
"Did you see me?"
"Yes sir I did." (he was just over the ridge, for the record.)
"So what brings you out here?"
"I just always wanted to do this...not get a ticket I mean, just come out west."
"Mr. Williams, you have a good day and please pay attention."
"Yes sir, absolutely."
I'm not sure but I think he laughed a little.
So I made it into Jackson (Hole), Wyoming a few hours earlier than I expected thanks to the ATL airport and it's refusal to take on incoming airplanes (a crazy notion, I know). Anyway, it gave me a chance to check out the town. After a couple of duds, the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar being one of them, I found the Snake River Brewery. http://snakeriverbrewing.com/
While chatting it up with the townies, I had to ask about the difference between Jackson and Jackson Hole since I'd seen maps with both. Apparently, it can be called both but the main difference is that Jackson is the town while Jackson Hole is the surrounding area (Teton Village, etc.) including the town. So there. Someone owes me $10. The highlight of the night was when the entire bar shutdown to watch Michael Phelps win his 8th gold. Corny, yes but cool nonetheless. Good people there.
Venture on, venture for new beer

No comments: