Thursday, June 24, 2010

Here's da ting...

...the Irish don't pronounce the "th" in anything. Gotta love it.
Anyway, here's a shot of this country castle where we stopped for
lunch today somewhere between Galway and Limerick. The restaurant was
called Durty Nellie's and it was quite good. One person in our group
took exception to the name and actually didn't want to eat there. My
response? "You need to lighten up." Oh well, making friends.

So yesterday we made it over to Galway and I saw my first Irish
rainfall. Before then, the weather has actually been a rare perfect.
After leaving Dublin, we stopped at this place that said they could
get the US match because it was being cast on the web and not
broadcast as the England game was. To say there was technical
difficulties is an understatement. So much so that as the US was
scoring the goal, the video went all choppy but we know the ball was
in. What made it even better was that a group of Algerians were
watching with us.

Anyway, had my first Irish fish and chips at dinner last night (and I
think my 100th Smithwick's). It was very good. Also went out on the
town afterwards and found the most excellent pub that had a great
band. Funny to find out that traditional Irish music is really only
played in the touristy pubs and none of us want that. But this band
was good and played anything from Nirvana to Modest Mouse. Galway is a
quaint little town of about 125,000 people but their pub and
restaurant area is really just a couple streets in the downtown area.
And compared to Dublin, the pubs are a bit more local without most of
the tourists (although I fully recognize I am one!).

Tomorrow I'm not going with the group for their company visits so I
hope to get up early and post some pictures and go walkabout until I
have to meet them after lunch for some more castle touring. Haven't
had a good chance to really get some shopping done so I'm preparing
the group. Plus, I'm sure everyone is aware of my keen interest in
that activity.

Until den...

No comments: